Tuesday, March 23, 2010

History.


Today is a historic day. One of the benefits to living minutes away from the Nation's Capitol is that it makes days like today never seem very far away. I don't need to watch the news to hear the sound. Whether I am stopped at a green light downtown to wait for a march to cross the intersection, or driving to work with the height of the Monument smack dab in front of me, I am constantly reminded of our invaluable freedoms and how blessed I am to live in the United States of America. 

We cannot predict the future, but we can study and learn from history. 

I hear both shouts of excitement and celebration as well as the echoing dismay and disapproval for a country who has taken a historic turn today. For those who find today to be ground breaking and enlightening, and those who find it to be shattering and full of doom, I encourage you to take a good look at our past. The many days that the generations before us found to be the end and for some the beginning. 

I do not believe that today's events will end our problems. Nor do I believe our country is ruined because of them. It is neither the beginning nor the end. Simply a chapter in our history. I wonder what our children will learn from it.  

No comments: