I am slightly ashamed to admit that after almost two years of living
here, last night was my first time to eat at Ben's Chili Bowl.
I wasn't even very hungry last night when we went, but I actually
woke up this morning craving more of Ben's Chili Bow!
It opened in 1958 in what was the first silent movie theater
in Washington DC - dating back to 1911.
Most of the furnishings inside are original from the late 50's and 60's.
I am even more ashamed to admit that I learned a lot that I
didn't know about the 1968 Riots in DC. Ben's Chili Bowl has
been a fixture in the district through a lot of our nation's history.
As we are coming up on the anniversary of the April 4th assassination
of Martin Luther King, Jr., I am glad to have learned more about the
aftermath that hit the very street we walked on last night.
I recommend you follow in the steps of Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole,
Bill Cosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, multiple presidents and just
days ago, Nicolas Sarkozy and his wife Carla Bruni and eat at
Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street.
Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street.
**I wish we had had time to take our company there last week - guess they will just have to come back to visit!




1 comment:
Wow- good food mixed with history? Sounds awesome.
Post a Comment