I just finished quite possibly the worst packing job of my life - the fact that I just finished it THIS MORNING probably has a lot to do with it. I had to laugh at the thought of someone watching me walk in the office this morning. After I managed to reach my security card to unlock the door - my arms loaded with three coats, a sweater, two cameras, three bags, my toothbrush, one pair of shoes and my roller suitcase - a strap from one of the three bags I was carrying got stuck on the door handle. I still do not know which bag was the culprit. I had to drop EVERYthing I was carrying to unlatch myself from the door before the alarm started sounding. I literally had to kick things through the door while dragging my suitcase- which was now on its side. The best part is that the entry way is lined with offices all of which have floor to ceiling glass. I am sure it was very entertaining for all who watched.
Rob had kindly dropped me off so that I wouldn't have to park my car at the airport. And I saw the bewilderment in his eyes when he saw all that I had packed - or rather, all that I was still in the process of packing. Almost the minute I made it inside - everything literally in a heap in front of me - I realized I had left my sunglasses in the car. Ok, I know this isnt the end of the world. $10 sunglasses wont make or break a four day trip. But...I just bought them in preparation for this very trip... So. Right there in the lobby of my office building I dropped down and started digging for my phone. When I finally found it I anxiously called Rob. I told him I had left my sunglasses in the car to which he nicely replied, "oh, I'm sorry. Thats too bad." I paused. This wasn't exactly the response I was looking for. So, I asked what appeared to me to be the obvious question...could he just maybe turn around real quick and bring them to me?
I think I took out my dismay over how scattered and unprepared I feel on those sunglasses. As if they are the missing piece that will solve all my traveling worries. If only I had those $10 sunglasses I would feel ready and feel good about everything. Prepared. Rob's response was "Are you being serious? I can't tell if you are kidding or not." Of course I was being serious. I stood there, completely disheveled and tugging on my skirt trying to think of a response. So after a couple of moments of silence I gave up rather disappointed (after I maybe said some babble about how I was now going to have to buy yet another pair of sunglasses when I got there. And I maybe exaggerated a bit about how my eye doctor said I really needed to wear sunglasses).But I could tell that I was beginning to sound a bit ridiculous.
So, sunglasses or no sunglasses, with or without everything, I am headed deep in the heart of Texas!
(thanks for being patient with me, rob d.)
photo cred here

1 comment:
Ha I love Rob's, "Oh, I'm sorry. That's too bad." Sounds like Matt. Have fun on your trip!
Post a Comment