I'd like to think I have a more than average appreciation for art
and I can see the gigantic-red-dot-on-white-paper-
that-any-five-year-old-could-have-made as art, simply because
art is expression and I can more than appreciate that
and while someone may stand there and declare
that they could have created it -
the fact of the matter is they didn't. They didn't think to.
I love to stand amazed at something I either didn't think to do
or don't have the ability to do, because it not only inspires
but it stirs creativity inside me. I can feel it expanding my mind
and I love that.
------------------
Meet Marina Abramović...
Meet Marina Abramović...
On Sunday, we went to the MoMA in NYC and saw Marina's exhibit,
The Artist Is Present. Below you can see her and the line of people
sitting around her waiting for a chance to sit across from her and
engage in this silent staring contest that she succumbs to all day
every day without food or bathroom break.
The rest of the exhibit consists reenactments
of her past 'installations' with live performers.
One of which involves you walking in between
a naked man and woman who face each other just inches apart.
Other videos throughout the exhibit show her brushing her hair
until her scalp bleeds and numerous other installations that
border on torturous and simply crazy (my opinion obviously).
It was apparent that a lot of people idolized her.
It was one of the most effective exhibits I have ever seen-
It left me contemplating art, the human body, pain,
the power of the mind, right and wrong, beauty and insanity.
(and yes, I walked through the two naked people)


1 comment:
Did you see the black an white photography? I have been meaning to go to these exhibits for weeks. Hopefully I catch them soon before they're done! I love what you said in this post. Finding whatever it is that moves you to the point of creating something, is so important. I just love to see what inspires people.
I love the pictures you took in your below post too. Fun trip!
Post a Comment