"Right now we are here, and nothing can mar our perfection,
or steal the joy of this perfect moment."
— Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife
— Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife
Sometimes I get to feeling like I'm in need of something new...
A different skyline or job maybe,
but almost immediately following that urge for displacement -
I am made aware of the present.
And as if an answer to prayer, I become so thankful for everything surrounding me.
The huge front porch standing proud in front of our house
and that safety and peaceful joy I feel when I walk in our home.
The Potomac River floating alongside the road like a ribbon dancing carefree in the wind
and the Washington Monument unwavering and strong framed perfectly in my windshield
on my drive home each day.
Singing in the kitchen with Lucy girl frolicking at my heels as we cook dinner for husband each night -
the breeze blowing through the open windows of our tree house --
I wouldn't trade it for anything in sight.
And Mr. D, who makes me laugh more than any other person
and feel like a winged bird soaring through the sky.
And I get the feeling that there is no such thing better than this -
to be here in the District, the luckiest girl married to the best guy.
So as long as we're here - wherever here may be -
nothing can take away my joy of the present.
Photograph by the amazing Amber of LiveitOutPhotography

No comments:
Post a Comment