Thursday, February 25, 2010

Meet Jenn...

 
Yesterday at work, I got to thinking about this girl.  

I remember sitting anxiously in a rocking chair on 
the front porch with her grandmother waiting for 
her parents to bring her home from the hospital. 
I was six years old when I met her.
And I remember it clearly...the car pulling up and 
watching excitedly as they carried her up the steps.
As an only child, I immediately took her in. 
In the years that followed, we spent hours outside together.
Forts, games, swings, wagons, bikes, chalk,
sprinklers, rooms of string afloat in the woods.
I remember the first time she learned how to pump
on a swing and her first pair of heels 
(they were pink jellys)
We spent almost as much time together 
after school as real sisters would.
And when I look back at my childhood, 
I can honestly say that I felt like I had 
a little sister.

So, now that she is in college and
I have a job and a pretend grown-up life, we 
no longer see each other every day after school. 
But I can't help but smile when I think about 
this beautiful girl and how lucky 
I am that I had her to grow up with.
She has turned into such a fun, 
kind and lovely young woman.
Still, I can't help but picture this little girl with 
long white-blond hair, running 
out her back door with a big smile 
on her face...ready and excited 
for whatever game or adventure we 
had in store...

PS. Jenn you look beautiful in this picture that I stole off of your facebook : )  



No comments: