Thursday, April 29, 2010

collide.

I have a new relationship with my bike.
Yesterday changed our relationship forever as
we collided with a car.
On the way home from work, basket loaded
we headed through an intersection the same time that a car
ran a stop sign, not even slowing down and
not looking anywhere but straight ahead.
There was not much I could do, and as I tried to stop it was sort of peaceful
because I really thought we were going to get hit
and it was out of my hands. 
The car slammed on its breaks and only the tip of my wheel 
and the nose of his car barely touched. 
Im sure it was a lot scarier for him than it was for me. 
And after he apologized
I went on with my errands and loaded up my basket (now full with a rosemary plant from work, my computer, wallet, and book) with groceries. 
It wasn't until I got home and was deep in the throws of cooking
chopping peppers and onions, water bowling
that I think it upset me
Tears fell as I retold the story to RD [I guess I should mention here that I MAYbe was a little emotional...and given a typical day tears might not have warranted themselves...but fall they did]

So this morning
my bike and I were a little leery of cars at intersections
Be sure to stop at stop signs...



1 comment:

Johnna McGill said...

I get really nervous at intersections when I am on my bike. Now that I have started riding, I am more aware of cyclist on the road. It scares me that I used to not notice, and that there are a ton of people who don't see us at all. BE SAFE! (and I hope you wear a helmet!)