Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Impermanence We Are

 
It seems
our own impermanence is concealed from us
The trees stand firm, the houses we live in are still there. We alone
flow past it all, an exchange of air.

Everything conspires to silence us,
partly with shame,
partly with unspeakable hope.

- Rainer Maria Rilke, From the Second Duino Elegy

And here, I believe, is why I am so fascinated with old buildings
wondering who once wandered through their halls
I always want to know the dates and the history hidden within
As people come and go and styles often change 
as depression breaks free to light 
and death and joy intertwine and dance along a very thin line
the buildings still remain. 
Walking through the doorway of an old building is like 
a secret window into the past
Traveling as a child and touring palaces and castles that still last
I pretended I was really there. Walking through my home.
And still today I rarely pass a plaque outside a building 
or along the road
without stopping to read and imagine what it must have been like
standing there so long ago.
And it is because of this that I am mesmerized 
by buildings and photographs alike
one has seen it all pass by,
the other has frozen it in time.
Photographs taken by Carin Davis in Central Park.

No comments: