Friday, May 7, 2010

Make it a point to smile. Happy Weekend!

“I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or dehumanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I woke up super early this morning. I have been leaving the blinds open in my bedroom so that I rise with the sun instead of an alarm which has proven to be a much more relaxing way to wake up (I do always have a back-up alarm set just in case). I laid there a bit just thinking. Now that I am no longer jetting across the country every month, I am missing that little bit of adventure. To carelessly explore and take in. So as I laid there packing and figuratively loading up my car with cameras and the tripod, I started feeling like I HAD to go. Sort of throwing all of my eggs in the hypothetical basket of adventure and travel. And the longer I meditated on it, the more just the thought of going to work sounded suffocating.

But here I am. And here the quote above was waiting for me. Circumstances are not the source of happiness. I possess the power to make the most of my day - whether that is in the car headed up the coast or at work fulfilling the job I committed to. Already the people around me have made me thankful to be just exactly where I am right now. And there it is. The realization that my day is not just about me, but about the people I come across and interact with.

I am so glad its the weekend. I hope your weekend is even more fulfilling and full of joy than you decide to make it.

 photo found on here

No comments: