Thursday, September 9, 2010

rolling thunder on a Wednesday afternoon

While driving home from work yesterday
the funeral home [whose parking lot is normally empty] was packed with motorcycles
and immediately I wanted to join the growing crowd, camera in hand
and leaning against the side of the white brick building were about fifty American flags
not just any flags, HUGE flags - the kind that you hang outside of your door on the Fourth of July
and just beyond the collection of red white and blue
stood four men - two on either side of the funeral home door
three of the four were rapidly chewing gum
all black leather and ripped jean clad
all four with long gray frizzy beards and bandannas around their heads
each holding an American flag, standing at attention on either side of the doorway.
The animated crowd continued to grow outside.

I wish I could say I stopped and sat on the curb across the street
close enough to smell the pavement and make out the tiny rocks 
that remind me of riding my bike when I was little - the inevitable skinned knee.
I wish I could say I saw the casket - drapped in an American flag, of course
I wish I could say I saw the pride in the pallbearers eyes as they walked through the guarded doorway
I wish I could say I heard the roar of the motorcycle engines, rumbling in my chest
and I wish I could say I watched them proudly ride away a sea of waving American flags.
Mostly I wish he could have seen it, too.

No comments: