Thursday, December 23, 2010

registering failure.

"Life, deal gently with her ... Love, never desert her"
— L.M. Montgomery (Jane of Lantern Hill) 
 I have decided that it is a very good thing that I only had a month to plan our wedding.
During that month I have discovered that I am not a very skilled bride-to-be.
The dress, the shoes, the veil and the overall feel, I knew right away...
but I 110% failed at registering. 

How? I mean, it's SHOPPING after all and I have had plenty of practice at that...
[and in all fairness, I did have an accomplice in triggering and scanning] 

At the first store, we had scanned only three items 
(rubber gloves, dish soap and a dish towel)
when the scanner decidedly stopped working and we were forced to leave the store
and start our new life with nothing but rubber gloves, dish soap and a dish towel.

Since then,
we have had to get the batteries replaced at two of the three stores. 
The machines at one didnt work and by the time we had the proper tools
we were both so burned out at the thought of the whole process that 
we stood 
numb
in front of a whole wall of seemingly identical, however exhaustively different pots and pans.

After several days of trying, we finally had more on our list than just
rubber gloves, dish soap and a dish towel.
But yesterday my boss (and best friend) looked at our registry online and 
upon first glance
let out a painful yell in horror at our short, apparently quite inadequate list of home goods.
She immediately rattled off the many things we had overlooked and 
offered to finish registering for us herself - 
which I have to admit was a quite tempting offer. 

Registering is definitely not all that its cracked up to be. 
Hopefully I will be much better in my role of wife than that of bride-to-be.


1 comment:

kinsey said...

my advice is get the registries started in the stores, but then add to them online! i think i added things weekly ;-)