Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sleepless in Illinois


"In three words I can sum up 
everything I've learned about life: it goes on.” 
- Robert Frost



When we moved to Boston, there were a lot of unknowns ahead of us. But my belly was swollen and my mind was wrapped almost completely around trying to grasp and prepare for the fact that we were having a baby that I wasn't able to really think about what life would be like once the Summer ended. 

It was March. Now it's almost August. 

Lyla had one of the worst nights that she has had in a really long time last night. So, we were up most of the night. Her trying to get a handle on her flailing and uncontrollable arms and legs. Me running the next several months through in my head and trying to keep that pesky pacifier in place. Needless to say neither one of us slept...those sporadic baby reflexes are no walk in the park. 

Rob and I dated long distance for over a year and I can't begin to describe the relief we felt once we were living in the same city. I am still so thankful for every grocery trip we are able to take together and every night not spent missing him near. And now that we have a baby, it's even harder to imagine being long distance and going without the calming support he provides our little family. 

Life is full of adventures and so far for me this year has seen no shortage of challenges, surprises and joyful reminders of what is most important in life. 

So, while Lyla Bird and I remain sleepless in Illinois today, I am giving thanks for this little life beside me, pulling my hair up and breathing in deep breaths of courage and strength to tackle all of the little adventures waiting at the end of Summer. 




Photograph by www.ambermahoney.com

5 comments:

Emily Powell said...

so sorry you had a rough night. we've had a rough few days as well. every new age brings new challenges.

Audrey Crisp said...

Such a bummer. Sorry. No sleep is the worst! Hope to have better luck!

Kacie Hill said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. Your perspective is so refreshing! I had a son about 2 weeks before you, so we are definitely in the same boat! :) One thing that has been a miracle for us is the SwaddleMe wrap. We affectionately call it the straight jacket.:) As soon as I put it on Hank and give him the pacifier it really helps calm him down...and he sleeps so much better with it!I hope it helps!

WhitneyClarke said...

Kacie, thank you! I love the SwaddleMe wrap!! I just forgot to bring it on this long trip of ours...such a bummer. Will have to remember it next time! You are right, it really does help calm her down and keep her flying arms at bay. Thank you so much for your note and congratulations on your little one!!!

WhitneyClarke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.