Friday, October 15, 2010

do you remember.

"Even now, all possible feelings do not yet exist,
there are still those that lie beyond our capacity and our imagination.
From time to time, when a piece of music no one has ever written or a painting no one has ever painted,
or something else impossible to predict, fathom or yet describe
takes place, a new feeling enters the world.
And then, for the millionth time in the history of feeling,
the heart surges and absorbs the impact."
— Nicole Krauss (The History of Love)
I woke up this morning feeling things that yesterday were only slivers of shadows
I wish I could remember the first time the ocean swallowed my feet
and this is what I thought when I first arose 
and felt the scorching hot water pound on my back in the shower
this morning I was running, but not away from anything 
instead toward
and it felt good and comforting, excitement swelling
and its still there as I sit with tons of stuff to get done
a steady list to check off 
but its all attainable, things I know I can accomplish 
and so I feel as though Im soaring 
like the first time you ran along the edge of the water
pushing your toes against the sand trying to lift off before you sink from your own weight
chasing a seagull you know you will never catch
running as fast as you can with arms outstretched 
and to you its not disappointing when you come to a stop
your feet still planted firmly on the ground -
sinking with the rushing sand -
because you were flying all along.
I remember that run as if it happened a single time, 
a single particular moment in my life that Ive been reliving
but now I cant remember if it ever actually happened at all.

photography by Annette Pehrsson



No comments: