Wednesday, July 6, 2011

light without windows

"Happiness is the settling of the soul into its most appropriate spot."
— Aristotle
 This is the view out my kitchen window. 
A place where I often feel the happiest - those few hours after work before Mr.D gets home
when I cook and dance around our tree house - listening to French music - all of my senses swirling.

Cooking directs my mind in a way little else can. It is becoming just as much an escape for me 
as reading or writing can be...and often its end result is much more gratifying...
at least to my taste-buds.
And after spending the day in my windowless box, 
I feel quite at ease in my window-filled kitchen....

But today, my day job just got a little brighter...I've been promoted indeed!
----------------------------
Its not just windows that make the world brighter...
its confidence in the form of a surprise promotion, 
a surgery that went well and a dad who is already up and walking again (!),
its a husband who makes my life feel blissful beyond belief
and a higher power who once again makes me feel nothing but thankful
He never fails to take care of us...even in the tiny details.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so glad your dad is doing better! What a scary weekend you had.

P.S. I also adore French music...maybe we can share our collections at some point. What's your favorite to listen to?

Kara Rush said...

Congratulations about the promotion! We miss you guys!

Whitney said...

Kara, thank you!! It was quite a surprise, but a very welcomed one. Miss you guys too...the other day I imagined meeting you and Evelyn for lunch...just like it was a wonderful normal thing.

Rachel, I missed book club!! : ( Rob and I are leaving out of suitcases at the moment. AND, lets please do swap music. I always sing along while I cook. I dont speak french. At all.