"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together...
there is something you must always remember.
you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.
But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...
I'll always be with you."
— A.A. Milne
— A.A. Milne
I took this picture in 2000...
and the one below from near the top of the World Trade Tower.
It is still hard to believe they are no longer there. The fire department a couple of blocks from our house was the first on the scene at the Pentagon, 9/11/01.
----------------------
I went for a long walk yesterday evening. Past the Washington Monument, by the Jefferson,
across the Potomac River where there was - taped along the bridge -
an American flag for every single person lost at the Pentagon.
The sun was heavily setting and for the first time -
as I stood at Gravelly Point at the end of the runway at Reagan International Airport -
the sound of the huge passenger jets flying literally right above my head
as I stood at Gravelly Point at the end of the runway at Reagan International Airport -
the sound of the huge passenger jets flying literally right above my head
sent chills down my spine - a sound that at one time only induced excitement and adventure,
reminded me of the sound of a weapon.
This weekend, we went to the Smithsonian to see the special exhibit of artifacts from 9-11.
Pieces of the plane from Flight 93, a FDNY truck door that was smashed when the buildings collapsed,
personal belongings etc. And so many stories of heroism.
It was a weekend of remembrance and thankfulness.
---------------
Later last night, Mr. D surprised me with a late drive downtown.
He stopped on Pennsylvania Ave. and turned to me and asked if I would like to dance.
To my surprise, there in the plaza between the Capitol Building and the White House
were people dancing in the glow of the moonlight -
people of all ages and every ethnicity. Some with dance shoes, others in tennis shoes.
Some talked as they danced while others held each other close - cheek pressed against cheek -
tenderly and passionately gliding around the plaza.
We sat in awe of humanity. Of our country.
And in awe of love.


3 comments:
Your writing is breathtaking, Whitney. I'm grateful for it!
Thank you so much, Jodi! Seriously such a nice thing to say...that means so much to me.
Very cool. I loved this post.
Post a Comment