Tuesday, March 29, 2011

a small domestic breakdown

"I am of certain convinced that the greatest heroes 
are those who do their duty in the daily grind of domestic affairs 
whilst the world whirls as a maddening dreidel." 
— Florence Nightingale
 I have yet to get into a routine with our furry new addition. 
So as soon as Mr. D finally got home around 10pm, 
I found myself in the middle of a full fledged domestic breakdown -
frantically scrubbing the bathroom and kitchen while plotting
future meals in my head and wishing I was in that scene in Sleeping Beauty
when the fairies manage to make a cake WHILE mopping the floor -
and just then [as I was willing the broom to dance across the kitchen floor]
husband wrapped me up and told me not to worry
and I could feel my body melting away in his arms.

This morning, as I stood over the stove making hard boiled eggs
- staring deep into the bubbling water -
I found myself repeating in my head,
"I can do this... I can do this..."

Hopefully I'm not losing my mind, too.

2 comments:

Kara Rush said...

You CAN do it! All I know is what I've read on your blog and twitter, but I hope things are getting easier with the puppy and that your dad is doing well.

Sending lots of love and happy thoughts!
Kara

Whitney said...

Thank you so much, Kara! You are so sweet. I'm feeling much better and optimistic about everything...finding joy in all the future unknowns instead of self-doubt.