Wednesday, March 9, 2011

this day

"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains 
and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?"
— John Keats, Letters of John Keats 
 Every morning around 5:30 - before the sun even rises -
I wake to a chorus of birds out our window.
This morning I laid there listening to all their different songs. 
Are they singing to each other?
Which brave bird is the first to start the ensemble in the cold dark stillness on 22nd street?

I cant help but think its directed far beyond the tall trees and sleeping houses outside the District -
up past the clouds - giving thanks just for the existence of the day itself.

No matter what the day before may have held,
no matter what pains or troubles may have been encountered,
they start fresh each morning rejoicing -
even before light has been shed on what lies ahead.
Faith.
----------

Dad's surgery went well yesterday...only one more surgery left!


1 comment:

Carin Davis said...

How beautifully said~

Best well wishes to your dad.