"It is, I think, that we are all so alone in what lies deepest in our souls,
so unable to find the words, and perhaps the courage to speak with unlocked hearts,
that we don't know at all that it is the same with others."
— Sheldon Vanauken, A Severe Mercy
— Sheldon Vanauken, A Severe Mercy
We came home from a baby shower last night (a guys wing night in Mr. D's case)
and went for a walk with Lucy girl.
The weather was perfect. It was after 10 pm and neither of us wore a coat.
I dont know exactly what it is that I love so much about our walks.
They aren't particularly long or groundbreaking
but somehow I feel like the joint traverse binds us together.
As if at the end of our separate days,
the solidarity of our walk as a family unites the hours spent apart.
This morning, as we both got ready for the day
I was reminded of an unavoidable separateness ahead
and found myself contemplating hopes and dreams
and wishing all sorts of things.
photo from Sally Jane Vintage.

No comments:
Post a Comment