Monday, June 4, 2012

two weeks

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love. 
After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
It was so wonderful having my mom here the first two weeks of Lyla Bird's life. I'm so thankful the three of us were able to share those first few weeks together. Plus, not only has our apartment never looked better, but the kitchen saw actual home-cooked meals for practically the first time!  

On Friday, my parents left for Italy with a bunch of our family friends...a trip that Mr. D and I had planned on taking until we were given a little surprise gift last September. It was hard saying goodbye to them and facing the reality of my new role as a mama...a mama whose husband works crazy late hours providing for this little family of ours. 

Suddenly spit up isn't so gross and a scent of milk is my new perfume. And Im surprised by my own strength when in the middle of the night I feel like I can't bare to move a muscle and the thought of breast feeding yet again makes me cringe a little in pain, but there is still no where I would rather be than rocking baby girl back to sleep in our little street lamp lit room. 

These past two weeks have been so sweet, but now I'm back to reality and trying to catch up on emails and thank you notes and find a rhythm for baby girl and I to fall in to. Its a 24 hour job, 7 days a week and its definitely not easy, but it is so, so rewarding and oh so good. 

NOTE: a sweet friend sent me the quote above...not sure who said it, but I couldn't love it more. 

2 comments:

Sara said...

She is beautiful, and you look so happy! Congratulations. I'm sure your home is just filled with joy. So nice that your mom could be there to help out the first two weeks-aren't they the best? :)

Audrey Crisp said...

That's so nice your mom was there to help out! I was Si scared once my mom left. Haha. It'll get much easier! Good luck! She's so cute.